Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Change isn't so bad...

I made a decision last summer that would change my life forever and after 8 months of medical tests and slashing through insurance company red tape I was approved by Cigna to spend the morning of March 3, 2010 at New York Presbyterian Hospital with a top notch doctor. Once the procedure was completed I knew I had work to do. I started going to Hoboken Boot camp every Saturday morning with my wife. The first Saturday I went I couldn't walk until Thursday. It was BRUTAL. I called my primary care physician and told him I had post traumatic stress syndrome from this exercise experience and I needed some Xanax (sweet, delicious Xanax) and a therapist.

Side note - for anyone that has not had the pleasure of getting a script for Xanax, tell your doc that you feel a little uptight. Every time I pop one of these beauties it is a euphoria on level I can't explain. I haven't taken one in ages but for the times when you are overwhelmed with work, family, whatever...it makes everything better. You achieve the same sense of nirvana that you get when you are sitting in the Sapphire club in Vegas with a bottle of your favorite beverage, some cigars, and a few grand in your pocket...ah, if there isn't a heaven on Earth...

I digress...Xanax is good when you are stressed to the max but don't use it too often or you wind up hooked and on a cable TV show. Anyway, for the past 2 plus weeks or so I have not missed a boot camp on a day there is class. I go every Monday - Thursday at 7:00pm and every Saturday 9:00 am. I'm starting to feel it! I never thought I would go back to an exercise regiment but I had to do it, if not for me for my 2 kids. I had to try and make a change. So far, so good. My new pants arrived tonight and they are 8 inches smaller that the pair I was wearing only 4 months ago. To top it off I feel strong as an ox, nowhere near some of the beasts that go to boot camp (yet), but for being a hunk of death for the past x number of years. I feel like the change is happening and I even pointed out the cut in my biceps already to the wife. I have always lived in fear of change but now I'm not so sure. I'm not going to jump into any super extreme changes but now some things I was afraid to do or goals I never thought possible don't seem so out of reach. I'm going to see the best nutritionist this side of the country tomorrow and we will see what the scale says but so far it's been life changing and I can't wait to see what happens over the next year. I'll keep you posted to the changes and if you ever thought of making a change, just do it. Live for today because tomorrow is not a guarantee.

Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. Keep working out at this rate and you will be throwing people out of DJais by summer 2011!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya know mike - i'm super proud of you... and of D - the two of you are seriously an inspiration to me... you guys are awesome and i love ya!

    ReplyDelete